Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Week 14 - Literacy Moves Ch. 6-10

I thought it was really neat to see all the students perspective on the Beanie Babies. They were able to do group discussions, draw different diagrams, give their insights, and most of all they were collaborating in groups that showed their opinions. This helped the students organize their thoughts and tell everyone in the group how they felt about the Beanie Babies. The Beanie Babies initially brought out a good discussion on marketing and other tools. This activity gave students the opportunity to respond to important issues, introduce popular culture, and encouraged students to be critical consumers.
In chapter nine they talked about villains and heroes. I think its important for students to get a good taste of fiction and fantasy. This allows the students to see creative writing and different techniques of writing. I did not start reading books until Harry Potter came out. I thought this book was so interesting and I just kept reading. From this book, I started reading more and more because I finally liked reading. I think that Fantasy can do that for children in many ways. It can open their mind and their imagination.

1 comment:

  1. I also liked the Beanie Babies activity because it allowed the students to have discussions, state their opinions and be critical.

    I also agree that it is important for students to read different genres to allow help expand their writing.

    ReplyDelete